Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Robert Frost

While I was searching for poems, I discovered that I like Robert Frost's poems. I enjoy how his poems are set in the nature and that they have a really nice rhythm. I chose to read "Fireflies in the Garden", "Fire and Ice", "House Fear", "The Runaway", "Dust of Snow", and "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening". For my two favorite of these six would by the last two.
"Dust of Snow" was a really nice read. I loved the rhyme of it and how one little crow could change the way a man can precieve and feel about the rest of his day. That crow shaking down the snow changed his whole mood and made him happy. "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" was also a poem with a nice rhythm. This poem was also very sad. It made me sad to think that the man was in such a beautiful area and that the woods were so pretty and yet the man was making his trek to his death. I also loved how he incorporated how the horse must be feeling. The last two lines "and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep" make such an impact on how the man must be feeling and on the poem in general. I really like Robert Frost's writing style and how he can bring such emotion to the characters.

3 comments:

Ayanda said...

So it looks like you enjoy poems about nature. I find that these poems are best read in the environments they describe. i myself am a fan of slam poetry, but I enjoy the style you describe during my times of relaxation. I look forward to hearing more about these poems and the poet.

Erinn said...

Kirsten, I thought Ayanda made an interesting point, that most of these Frost poems have nature themes. You might like talking to Brittany (or at least checking out her blog). Though she has not chosen Frost poems, she is also interested in nature imagery.

heathersue said...

I don't really read much poetry but after reading your blog entry I actually looked up the poems you discussed. I ended up liking them a lot. I really enjoyed Frost's style. I am looking forward to doing a little more research on Robert Frost.