Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Poems

If I had to pick one of the poems that we read for today and label it as my "favorite" I would choose "Woodchucks". This poem offered up some mild humor and some relativity to my life. Having grown up on a farm I have seen my fair share of Woodchucks and let me tell you they are not easy to get rid of as the author has stated. The poet did a wonderful job of putting all of the frustration into a poetic verse. The way he describe to process is correct to a tee. I laughed at this poem and it was one of the few poems I didn't mind reading. Life would be so much easier if they would just die by gas instead of making it more difficult for us.

2 comments:

Anne said...

That is so crazy because I the whole time I was reading it I was feeling bad for all the bby woodchucks haha. I guess it is just a difference in where we grew up, but I agree about the language.

Erinn said...

Isn't it funny how we all can have such different reactions to the same poem, based on which characters with whom we emphathize! Like you, Kirsten, I find myself "siding" with the poem's narrator. I hate pests, whether they are tiny ants or huge raccoons. The poet does do a nice job illustrating the frustration one feels hunting such pests with her use of language. Poor, poor baby woodchucks...they never stood a chance!